Hello MS839 Families!
Wondering what to do over the holiday break? Here is a list of NYC Winter Activities that might help you plan a fun-filled holiday:
UPCOMING HOLIDAY EVENTS
- NYC Lantern Festival through Jan. 12 in Snug Harbor, Staten Island
- Brooklyn Latke Festival, Dec 16th 6-8:30 at the Brooklyn Museum. Use discount code BKM10LATKE at checkout for a 10% discount.
- New York Magazine’s guide to the best Christmas light displays in New York City.
- Green-Wood Cemetery Trolley Tour Dec 29th 1-3pm Green-Wood only does two trolley tours in December, and it’s the perfect time to visit Green-Wood, which is the same size as Prospect Park and has sweeping views of Manhattan.
- Kwanzaa celebration at the American Museum of Natural History, Dec. 28
- Gingerbread Lane at the New York Hall of Science. Great inspiration for gingerbread architects!
- Klez for Kids at the Eldridge Street Synagogue, Dec 25
- Also, check out this Google map for the best sledding in Prospect Park, updated with snowfalls.
- Heard of The Skint? It’s a mailing list and website that prides itself on being cheap or free. skint is British slang meaning lacking funds, broke, or bust, and their motto is that you don’t need to be rich to enjoy the best of the city.
- Screen Slate Daily is a website and mailing list that just does one thing: film. It lists every movie house in NYC that isn’t first-run features, and it’s wonderfully simple. If you want to see old, independent or foreign films, this is the only resource you’ll need.
- Nifty NYC, where every activity listed is under $20.
- Brokelyn, not just events, but also how to make life in Brooklyn more affordable.
- TDF is a nonprofit organization that bills itself as “bringing the power of the performing arts to everyone”. For an annual fee of $35, TDF members get special access to deeply discounted tickets available online and in advance for hundreds of Broadway, Off Broadway and Off-Off Broadway theatre shows, dance performances and music concerts. Tickets cost between $11-$49. You need to qualify to join (non-profit workers, teachers, and union members are some of those eligible, but they make the process simple) and the list of shows changes weekly!
Enjoy the Holidays!