Welcome to our High School Readiness Committee’s page! If you are interested in receiving occasional emails about open houses, tours, and other High School related news, please email our Parent Coordinator at email@example.com.
High School Open House Community Spreadsheet
The Applying to High School in NYC Facebook private group has compiled a list of upcoming open houses for NYC high schools that you may find helpful. Please note: this list is not from MS 839. Also, since the spreadsheet is editable, please be careful not to delete any information.
Please bear with us as we update the links below! We appreciate your patience 🙂
- Our guidance team has compiled a list of High Schools you can use as a guide to help find a school that is the right fit for your child.
- Here is the June High School workshop presentation in case you weren’t able to attend.
- And here is a list of first round offers of previous MS 839 graduating classes.
NUTS & BOLTS
- NYC High School Directory & High School Admissions Events Calendar (calendar midway down the page)
- 2021 NYC High School & Specialized High Schools Admissions Guide
- Boroughwide High School Fair Datest (under “Virtual Tours and Attending Events”)
- Inside Schools, an Independent guide to public schools
- Dates and Locations for taking the Specialized Highs School Test (SHSAT) (under “Take the SHSAT)
- 2021 Specialized High School Admission Test Guide (practice tests)
- SHSAT Prep Support & Tutors
- Tips from 8th Grade Parents’ on Navigating the HS Admission Process
- NYC Arts Programs Guidelines
- Performing Arts Audition & Audition Prep Programs
- Visual Arts Audition, Portfolio Prep Programs
- Audition & Screened HS Checklist
- HS Tour Ratings Worksheet
- How Students Get offers to New York City Public Schools
- Middle and High School Admissions: How Students Get Offers to Screened Schools and the Specialized High Schools
- Parents of New York Teens & Young Adults
- Private Consultants for HS Admissions
- April 20, 2021 – Getting Education Data Right: The Case of High School Admissions – Columbia Journalism Review
- June 11, 2020 – Why 2 Crises May Finally Force N.Y.C. Schools to Integrate
- How Game Theory Helped Improve New York City’s High School Application Process
- Admission Test’s Scoring Quirk Throws Balance Into Question
- NYC students take aim at segregation by hacking an algorithm
- As New York Rethinks High School Graduation Requirements, Under-the-Radar School Group May Offer a Model
- There are better ways to assess students than with high-stakes standardized tests. These schools are using them with success. (The Washington Post)