Attention 7th GRADE FAMILIES — Overnight Trip to Camp Bernie, June 10-12, 2020 Online Registration and Payment forms are now available.
This is your chance to bid for amazing items and hang out with your fellow MS 839 parents, teachers, administrators, and staff.
Wine offered by Big Nose Full Body.
Entertainment by the fabulous live karaoke band The Occasionalists!
The auction is our school’s largest fundraising event and we’ve created a sliding scale to allow everyone to attend.
Swallow – $25
Egret – $45
Heron – $60
Hawk – $80
Pay more if you can, less if you can’t.
We still need your help!
- We are looking for sponsorships from local and/or parent-owned businesses to cover our upfront fees. We’re stepping it up this year with location, service, and decor.
- We still need help getting donations of auction items from businesses and individuals. Think about businesses you frequent, your employer, friends, and colleagues… Get creative! Find our solicitation letter and donation form to print here. Find donations ideas here
- Do you have access to Broadway tickets, sporting events, concerts or cultural institutions?
- Do you or a family member have a vacation home, or do you frequent an Inn or hotel that may be willing to donate a weekend stay?
- Do you have a special skill, talent or area of expertise that you can donate as a service?
- Do you know restaurants you love that could donate a dining experience?
- Would your go-to Wellness Spa, Beauty or Hair Salon be able to donate a service?
- Do you know an artisan or artist who could donate a painting, sculpture, jewelry, etc.
Help us process auction items you’ve secured by using our online donation form.
To avoid duplicated efforts, please contact the auction committee with any ideas regarding restaurants and businesses at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This year our auction will be online so you will be able to bid before the event (and even if you can’t attend). We will launch our bidding site very soon, stay tuned!
We need more volunteers! Join the committee, email us at email@example.com
Thank you in advance,
Aileen Monahan & Lorraine Le Tac (MS 839 Auction Committee Co-Chairs)
Dear MS 839 Community,
We are heading towards the end of an exciting 2019-2020 school year. We also have some of the biggest, most interesting and fun events still to come.
Unfortunately, we are also now dealing with the challenge of thinking together about the COVID19 outbreak and how to stay safe.
Due to the outbreak of COVID19, the PTA is working hard to reschedule the events we had planned for March and early April so please stay tuned. We are still planning to hold all events that are planned for May and June but we will be evaluating as the situation evolves.
TBA – Screening and moderated discussion of Screenagers
May 7-9 – Used Book Sale
TBA – 4th Annual MS 839 Spring Auction at ShapeShifter Lab
June 10-12 – 7th Grade Overnight Trip
June 18 – Brooklyn Cyclones Game
Thank you to all of you who participated in our end-of-year fundraising drive and Giving Tuesday – we raised over $15,000 in the month of December!
Hello MS839 Families!
Wondering what to do over the holiday break? Here is a list of NYC Winter Activities that might help you plan a fun-filled holiday:
UPCOMING HOLIDAY EVENTS
- NYC Lantern Festival through Jan. 12 in Snug Harbor, Staten Island
- Brooklyn Latke Festival, Dec 16th 6-8:30 at the Brooklyn Museum. Use discount code BKM10LATKE at checkout for a 10% discount.
- New York Magazine’s guide to the best Christmas light displays in New York City.
- Green-Wood Cemetery Trolley Tour Dec 29th 1-3pm Green-Wood only does two trolley tours in December, and it’s the perfect time to visit Green-Wood, which is the same size as Prospect Park and has sweeping views of Manhattan.
- Kwanzaa celebration at the American Museum of Natural History, Dec. 28
- Gingerbread Lane at the New York Hall of Science. Great inspiration for gingerbread architects!
- Klez for Kids at the Eldridge Street Synagogue, Dec 25
- Also, check out this Google map for the best sledding in Prospect Park, updated with snowfalls.
- Heard of The Skint? It’s a mailing list and website that prides itself on being cheap or free. skint is British slang meaning lacking funds, broke, or bust, and their motto is that you don’t need to be rich to enjoy the best of the city.
- Screen Slate Daily is a website and mailing list that just does one thing: film. It lists every movie house in NYC that isn’t first-run features, and it’s wonderfully simple. If you want to see old, independent or foreign films, this is the only resource you’ll need.
- Nifty NYC, where every activity listed is under $20.
- Brokelyn, not just events, but also how to make life in Brooklyn more affordable.
- TDF is a nonprofit organization that bills itself as “bringing the power of the performing arts to everyone”. For an annual fee of $35, TDF members get special access to deeply discounted tickets available online and in advance for hundreds of Broadway, Off Broadway and Off-Off Broadway theatre shows, dance performances and music concerts. Tickets cost between $11-$49. You need to qualify to join (non-profit workers, teachers, and union members are some of those eligible, but they make the process simple) and the list of shows changes weekly!
Enjoy the Holidays!
Today is #GivingTuesday, a global day of giving that inspires people to support the causes they believe in.
At MS839, we believe in the remarkable teachers and staff who make a difference in our school every day, along with our wonderful after-school programs, sports teams, field trips, arts programs, cultural presentations and school-wide events that enrich each student’s experience in many ways.
We know you believe in MS839, so show your support this Giving Tuesday by making a donation to the annual fund today. Gifts of any amount will have a great impact on the programs below and much more.
Here is an example of what your donation can do:
$5 will buy a case of seltzer for bake sales, which we will sell for $12!
$17 will buy a pizza for student activities including musical rehearsals, set builds, and show nights
$25 will pay for two students to attend a field trip like the 8th grade trip to Ellis Island
$30 will provide one uniform for a student on the MS 839 Volleyball, Basketball, or Soccer teams
$55 will pay for a seat on the bus to the Outward Bound grade trips for a student or teacher
$150 will fund one 1½ hour practice session for a team
$200 will go toward set materials for the Spring Musical
$300 will fund balls for Volleyball, Basketball, and Soccer
$600 will fund half a year of an after-school program such as Black Student Union, Safe Space (Gay-Straight Alliance), Choir, Multicultural Club, Slam Poetry Club or Math Tutoring
$650 will fund league and referee fees for boys’ and girls’ basketball
$800 will fund uniforms for the entire MS 839 STEP team
$1200 will fund a full year of an after-school program
Also, does your company offer corporate matching for your donation?
Many companies have a corporate matching gift program. If yours does, your donation may be doubled at no additional cost to you! Any money you donated in 2019 can count towards corporate matching. Please check with your HR department to see if your company will match your donation to MS 839 PTA. To do so, you’ll likely need the PA’s tax ID number (EIN), which is # 47-5076855.
Thank you so much for your support.
MS 839 PTA
Our upcoming MS 839 PTA meeting dates are below. All meetings take place in the MS 839 library on Tuesdays, unless otherwise noted.
* December 17 @ 6:00, General Meeting
* January 14 @ 6:15, Executive Board Meeting
* January 28 @ 6:00, General Meeting
* February 11 @ 6:15, Executive Board Meeting
* February 25 @ 6:00, General Meeting
* March 10 @ 6:15, Executive Board Meeting
* March 24 @ 6:00, General Meeting
* April 21 @ 6:15, Executive Board Meeting
* April 28 @ 6:00, General Meeting
* May 12 @ 6:15, Executive Board Meeting
* May 26 @ 6:00, General Meeting
* June 2 @ 6:15, Executive Board Meeting
* June 16 @ 6:00, General Meeting
All parents and caregivers are welcome and encouraged to attend both General and Executive Board meetings. Please join us!